Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Attributes of a Loving Father

From Gay Neves to her three grandsons currently missionaries:

I’m writing this to my dearest, wonderful grandsons who are now serving the Lord, and everyone else in the family that I love so much. I’ve wanted so badly to share some things which are in my heart, and now I’m getting stronger, I’d like to share something that Brother Wayne Brickley said in one of his talks "How Great Shall Be the Peace of Thy Children." I couldn’t get the transcript, so I’ll have to paraphrase and give what quotes I was able to glean from the broadcast, but even the crumbs of the essence of the things he said and rang true on my heartstrings, like a memory.

Heber C Kimball said, "I’m perfectly satisfied that my Father and My God is a cheerful, pleasant, lively and good-natured being." Bro. Bridkley cited the joy of being in the presence of such a person as one of the incentives we have to live good lives. He said "How do I know that the reports of these attributes are true. "Why? Because I am cheerful, pleasant and lively and good natured when I have his spirit."

The Lord said, through Joseph Smith, "I delight in a glad heart and a cheerful countenance."

"That arises from his own attribute. We left the presence of our Father with all that energy and absolute determination that we were going to come back. I bet one of our motives was that we really, really loved him; not only that we admired him and respected Him, we really, really enjoyed being with him.

For us to have a clear memory of Him, on the other side of this veil, would be cheating in keeping his commandments. We’d do it simply to be in the presence of such a beautiful being.

He quotes Heber C. Kimball again, "I can not think of anyone of my acquaintance so much like God as was Brother Brigham’s father, John Young. He was one of the liveliest and most cheerful man I ever knew and one of the best of men. He would come and visit and sit and talk with us and sing and do anything that was good, to make us lively and happy."

What if, in spite of all that I have working against me, my looks, my bank account, of whatever it might be that I feel is a limitation to me, I could at least become such a person."

Then he spoke of his children who had strayed. "I wonder what that would do when the day should come that the tentacles of the covenants start drawing them back from their imperfections and draw them in. I wonder how that would play into things if they were bonded to me, and these peaceful attributes . . . which I have cultivated in imitating God himself, were [the power.]

I love you, Grandma Neves