Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Happy New You

From Jami Bernards to her son, Elder BJ Bernards, dated January 7, 2008

Dear Elder My Son, and Sam & Julia, Ben & Megan, Kiki, Sarah, grandparents, friends,

Did you have a good week? How did you celebrate the new year? Are you happy? Are you eating well? Are you in need of anything?

We had a fast and interesting week. New Year's eve we stayed home and watched a movie with the children, and fell asleep on the couch. We've had enough of partying. I can't even remember what we did on Tues. The kids did not have school, I know that. Wed. as I dove back into the milieu of the center, we received word that Uncle Stan had past on, Grandma Wanda's oldest brother who was 92. Dad and I both needed to be there at the funeral, so we decided to drive out to the SF bay area and take the kids with us, planning on leaving the next day, Thurs. Then we heard about the huge storm that was coming in and changed our plans. Had we been in the Sierra Nevada mountains during that storm it would have been awful. We might have been stranded for days. So we used Dad's last frequent flyer pass and bought one more ticket. We both were able to fly out Friday morning.*

. . . We rented a car and drove up to see Ben and Megan at their hotel in Sacramento. Megan's aunt Brenda had invited us to come to her home for dinner, which was very kind. In her neighborhood there were branches of trees right and left, and reports of ancient trees uprooted. Roads and parking lots had deep areas of flooding where the storm drains were clogged with debris from the downpour. Ben said the winds there were reported at 70 mph, and that had it been a storm coming off the Atlantic, it would have been classed as a hurricane. I am certain we were trying to land in the thick of it, and as it moved west it passed over Sacramento and on through the Sierra Nevada's, then Nevada. I am so grateful we were not in those mountains with all our children in the car!

It was good to be with Brad's cousins and extended family. The service for his uncle was at the *** church in his neighborhood, where he had been a member of the congregation for over 50 years 9 (having left the only true church some time in his early years). It was interesting to see their rites and rituals, 'having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof.' It was also interesting to observe his posterity, that it was rather small, for someone of his age, (92), barely enough people to fill 1 1/2 short pews. There were less than 15 people there who were his descendants. Comparing that with what we know of families of righteous saints who have been married in the temple and have lived a lifetime of faithful service, it is truly remarkable the difference. I am convinced that the covenants of the temple and the blessings of the priesthood are real and powerful, and I am very grateful for them.

We attended Sacrament meeting the next day in Castro Valley. It was such a joy to witness ordinances of the priesthood, by those who have been called of God and ordained with power and authority from him. It was a blessing to partake of the emblems of his atonement, knowing that it was in the manner he had ordained, and that the officiators were ordained with his holy priesthood. I bore my testimony of the tremendous blessing it is to be a member of this church. I shared my privilege of reading from the Book of Mormon, and learning of the tree of life, and the love of God which is spread abroad in the hearts of the children of men. I felt to rejoice and share my witness that this is the true church, and that I have received that witness through the power of the Holy Ghost. I am so grateful for all my blessings. I am truly rich. And I am filled with desire to share this good news. I am grateful that you (BJ) are being diligent in the use of your time. I hope that you will maximize every moment, search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and you will be led to those who have been prepared to receive the gospel.

One of the brethren who bore his testimony said, 'Happy New You!' He was recently converted, and his 14 year old son was baptized the Saturday previous and was being confirmed a teacher that day. I love it. 'Happy New You!'

Time for me to get to work. I love you all,

Mom/Jami/Grandma

* Story of harrowing flight to Oakland edited for length.