Sunday, December 30, 2007

Beautiful Savior



From Penny Freeman to Elder Paul Freeman, dated December 29, 2007

Dear Elder Sweetie,

As I said in my last, the Christmas program in the Mission Bend Ward was absolutely wonderful. Adam refuses to take credit for 'writing' it, but his compilation and editing was truly inspired for in everything and all, he testified of Jesus Christ. Since you couldn't be there, I'm posting this so that you can have not only the text but the lyrics to the music. Adam outdid himself with his choir. He was astounding to watch and singing in his choir was a blast.

Christmas 2007 Program
Mission Bend Ward

Song-Junior & Senior Primary: Beautiful Savior (Crusader's Hymn)
Fair is the sunshine,
Fairer the moonlight
And all the stars in heaven above.
Jesus shines brighter,
Jesus shines purer,
And brings to all the world his love.

Fair are the meadows,
Fairer the woodlands
And all the flowers of blooming spring
Jesus is fairer,
Jesus is purer.
He makes the sorrowing spirit sing.

Beautiful Savior!
Lord of the nations!
Son of God and Son of Man!
Thee will I honor,
Praise and give glory,
Give praise and glory evermore!
Evermore!

Narrator: Christmas is a time of joy, celebration, family and charity. It is during this season that our minds and hearts are turned to those miraculous events in an ancient and distant land that led to the birth of Christ, the King of Kings. Of Christ, Moroni wrote:

“I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever” (Ether 12:41).

This morning, we invite you to not only think of the events surrounding the birth of the Christ Child, but also the gift of eternal life that He has offered to each and every one of us.

Song-Choir and Senior Primary: I Wonder as I Wander, Appalachian carol, arranged by Ann K. Andersen

I wonder as I wander out under the sky,
How Jesus the Savior did come for to die,
For poor onry people like you and like I,
I wonder as I wander out under the sky.

When Mary birthed Jesus 'twas in a cow's stall,
With wise men and farmers and shepherds and all,
And high from God's heaven a star's light did fall,
And the promise of the ages they then did recall;

If Jesus had wanted for any wee thing,
A star in the sky or a bird on the wing,
Or all of God's angels in heaven to sing,
He surely could have had it for he was the King.

I wonder as I wander out under the sky,
How Jesus the Savior did come for to die,
For poor onry people like you and like I,
I wonder as I wander out under the sky.

Narrator: A Modern apostle of the Lord, President James E. Faust, penned the following words:

They heard His voice, a voice so mild;
It pierced them through and made their souls to quake;
They saw Him come, a man in white,
The Savior who had suffered for their sake.
They felt the wounds in hands and side,
And each could testify; This is the Christ;
This is the Christ, the holy Son of God,
Our Savior, Lord, Redeemer of mankind.
This is the Christ, the healer of our souls
Who ransomed us with love divine.

I read His words, the words He prayed
While bearing sorrow in Gethsemane;
I feel His love, the price He paid.
How many drops of blood were spilled for me?
With saints of old in joyful cry
I too can testify; This is the Christ;
This is the Christ, the holy Son of God,
Our Savior, Lord, Redeemer of mankind.
This is the Christ, the healer of our souls
Who ransomed us with love divine.

Duet: Gesu Bambino

When blossoms flowered 'mid the snows
Upon a winter night
Was born the Child, the Christmas Rose
The King of Love and Light.

The angels sang, the shepherds sang
The grateful earth rejoiced
And at His blessed birth the stars
Their exultation voiced.

O come let us adore Him
O come let us adore Him
O come let us adore Him
Christ the Lord.

Again the heart with rapture glows
To greet the holy night
That gave the world its Christmas Rose
Its King of Love and Light.

Let ev'ry voice acclaim His name
The grateful chorus swell
From paradise to earth He came
That we with Him might dwell.

O come let us adore Him
O come let us adore Him
O come let us adore Him
Christ the Lord.

Narrator: Nearly 600 years before the first Christmas, Nephi had a vision of Mary the mother of
Jesus, and of the sacred birth (1 Nephi 11:13-21):

13 And it came to pass that I looked and beheld the great city of Jerusalem, and also other cities. And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of aNazareth I beheld a bvirgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.

14 And it came to pass that I saw the aheavens open; and an angel came down and stood before me; and he said unto me: Nephi, what beholdest thou?

15 And I said unto him: A virgin, most beautiful and fair above all other virgins.

16 And he said unto me: Knowest thou the acondescension of God?

17 And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.

18 And he said unto me: Behold, the avirgin whom thou seest is the bmother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh.

19 And it came to pass that I beheld that she was carried away in the Spirit; and after she had been carried away in the aSpirit for the space of a time the angel spake unto me, saying: Look!

20 And I looked and beheld the virgin again, bearing a achild in her arms.

21 And the angel said unto me: Behold the aLamb of God, yea, even the bSon of the Eternal cFather!

Song-Duet/Women's chorus: Cradle Song written by Henry Watts, based on a poem by Patrick K. O'Haran

Sleep, oh my little one,
Quietly sleep.
Angels shall guard thee slumbering deep.
White wings about thee
Enfolding that flame,
Holy Immortal Ineffable name.
Sleep, O my little Lord,
Darling one sleep.

Sleep, oh my little one,
Quietly sleep.
Heaven’s high hosts around thee shall creep.
All love and glory,
Beauty and grace,
With the kiss of a mother rest on they face.
Sleep, O my little Lord,
Darling one sleep.

Sleep, my beloved
Little one, sleep;
No crying be heard; O stir not nor weep,
A bright star is shining
Above thy dear head,
And to this poor shelter great kings are led.
Sleep, O my little Lord,
Darling one, sleep.

Sleep, then my kingly one,
Gently and still.
See how thine angels watch on each hill.
Here is thy mother
Close, dearest heart;
I shall be with thee when shepherds depart.
Sleep, O my little Lord,
Darling one, sleep.

Song-Ward Choir: Born in a Stable by Robert W. Thygerson

Born in a stable, a small child so bright,
Born in a stall on this still night.
Sleeping so sweetly on pillow of hay,
God’s richest gift in manger lay.
Sleep, holy babe, pure as snow,
Sent down to weary earth for all to know.

Mary and Joseph, both gentle and mild,
Tenderly care for their newborn child,
Waiting the sunrise that welcomes the morn;
Sweet baby Jesus on earth now is born.
Sleep holy babe, pure as the snow,
sent down to weary earth for all to know.

Narrator: When commemorating the 2,000th anniversary of the birth of the Savior, his modern day prophets and apostles wrote the following in the document, “The Living Christ”:

As we commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ two millennia ago, we offer our testimony of the reality of His matchless life and the infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice. None other has had so profound an influence upon all who have lived and will yet live upon the earth.

He was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New. Under the direction of His Father, He was the creator of the earth. "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made" (John 1:3). Though sinless, He was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. He "went about doing good" (Acts 10:38), yet was despised for it. His gospel was a message of peace and goodwill. He entreated all to follow His example. He walked the roads of Palestine, healing the sick, causing the blind to see, and raising the dead. He taught the truths of eternity, the reality of our premortal existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come.

He instituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great atoning sacrifice. He was arrested and condemned on spurious charges, convicted to satisfy a mob, and sentenced to die on Calvary's cross. He gave His life to atone for the sins of all mankind. His was a great vicarious gift in behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth.

We solemnly testify that His life, which is central to all human history, neither began in Bethlehem nor concluded on Calvary. He was the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten Son in the flesh, the Redeemer of the world. He rose from the grave to "become the firstfruits of them that slept" (1 Cor. 15:20).

Song-Men's Quartet: Away in a Manger

Away in a manger, no crib for his bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head;
The stars in the heavens looked down where he lay,
The little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay.

The cattle are lowing; the poor baby wakes,
But little Lord Jesus no crying he makes.
I love thee, Lord Jesus; look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle ‘til morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus; I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And fit us for heaven to live with thee there.

Song-Ward Choir: Do you hear what I hear? words and music by Noel Regney & Gloria Shayne, arranged by Barry Simeone

Said the night wind to the little lamb,
“Do you see what I see? Do you see what I see?
Way up in the sky, little lamb,
Do you see what I see? Do you see what I see?
A star, a star, dancing in the night
With a tail as big as a kite,
With a tail as big as a kite.”

Said the little lamb to the shepherd boy,
“Do you hear what I hear? Do you hear what I hear?
Ringing through the sky, shepherd boy,
Do you hear what I hear? Do you hear what I hear?
A song, a song, high above the trees
With a voice as big as the sea,
With a voice as big as the sea.”

Said the shepherd boy to the mighty king,
“Do you know what I know? Do you know what I know?
In your palace warm, mighty king,
Do you know what I know? Do you know what I know?
A Child, a Child shivers in the cold--
Let us bring him silver and gold,
Let us bring him silver and gold.”

Said the king to the people everywhere,
“Listen to what I say! Listen to what I say!
Pray for peace, people, everywhere,
Listen to what I say! Listen to what I say!
A Child, A Child sleeping in the night
He will bring us goodness and light,
He will bring us goodness and light.”

Narrator: Of the Living Christ, the Prophet Joseph wrote:

"His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:

"I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father" (D&C 110:34).

Of Him the Prophets also declared:

"And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

"For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

"That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God" (D&C 76:24).

and:

"We declare in words of solemnity that His priesthood and His Church have been restored upon the earth—'built upon the foundation of ... apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone' (Eph. 2:20).

"We testify that He will someday return to earth. 'And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together' (Isa. 40:5). He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords, and every knee shall bend and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him. Each of us will stand to be judged of Him according to our works and the desires of our hearts.

"We bear testimony, as His duly ordained Apostles—that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son." (see The Living Christ, The Testimony of the Apostles, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)

Song-Ward Choir: Oh Come Oh Come Emanuel, ancient Plainsong arranged by Robert P. Manookin

O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of Hell Thy people save
And give them victory o'er the grave
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes, on Sinai's height,
In ancient times did'st give the Law,
In cloud, and majesty and awe.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

Song-Ward Choir: I Believe in Christ, music by John Longhurst, arranged by Mack Wilberg, text by Elder Bruce R. McConkie

I believe in Christ, he is my king;
With all my heart to him I’ll sing;
I’ll raise my voice in praise and joy,
In grand amens my tongue employ.
I believe in Christ, he is God’s Son;
On earth to dwell his soul did come;
He healed the sick, the dead he raised,
Good works were his, his name be praised.

I believe in Christ, O blessed name,
As Mary’s Son he came to reign
’Mid mortal men, his earthly kin,
To save them from the woes of sin.
I believe in Christ, who marked the path,
Who did gain all his Father hath,
Who said to men: “Come, follow me,
That ye, my friends, with God may be.”

I believe in Christ—my Lord, my God—
My feet he plants on gospel sod;
I’ll worship him with all my might;
He is the source of truth and light.
I believe in Christ, he ransoms me;
From Satan’s grasp he sets me free,
And I shall live with joy and love
In his eternal courts above.

I believe in Christ, he stands supreme;
From him I’ll gain my fondest dream;
And while I strive through grief and pain,
His voice is heard: “Ye shall obtain.”
I believe in Christ; so come what may,
With him I’ll stand in that great day
When on this earth he comes again,
To rule among the sons of men.

Bishop’s Remarks

Closing Hymn-Choir & Congregation: Silent Night, lyrics by Josef Mohr, translated by John F. Young, music by Franz Xaver Gruber

Silent night! Holy night!
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon virgin mother and Child.
Holy Infant, so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace;
Sleep in heavenly peace.

Silent night! Holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight!
Glories stream from heaven afar;
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
Christ, the Savior, is born!
Christ, the Savior, is born!

Silent night! Holy night!
Son of God, loves pure light
Radiant beams from thy holy face,
With the dawn of redeeming grace,
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth;
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.