Friday, February 8, 2008

Personal Revelation

From Dallas D. Freeman II to Elder Paul Freeman, dated February 7, 2008

Dear Elder Freeman,
I figure this message should still get to you today. How are things going out there in Cucamunga? I know that's not where you are, I just thought that it was pretty funny when I filled in the adress on that CD. I'm glad you liked it. I was going to send you the Garden but 20 buck is a little steep as a practical joke. I hope you've got someone there who has a CD player. I've never listened to it. I just looked at Tab Choir and decided not to get you show tunes. Would you have preferred hearing them sing Oklahoma?

[later] Whoops. Looks like I missed P-day again. It's not my fault that they only give us a fifteen minute break and that I use ten to make and eat ramen in the microwave. Now I've read this weeks letter to you I wanted to add my thoughts.

It is the most natural thing in the world to want to reject or at least resist revelation from God when he chooses some one we know as his messenger. It was easy for the Pharisees to laud Moses, but less so for their forebears, the former Egyptian slaves, who actually had to live with the man chosen to be the prophet. So it is with every age of religious people. We are more than willing to accept the prophet as long as we aren't forced to be in the same room with them.

I speak of natural and we in the the general sense. The exceptions to these rules are the basis for what makes the Lord's kingdom on this Earth grow in the way He has ordained it to. Aaron believed that his brother was a prophet. So hid Sam and Hyrum Smith. Imagine,if you, at the age of 14, suddenly came home school one day and told me that the Lord had called you as the prophet, do you think I would believe you? I like to think that I've be granted a feel for when truth is spoken in my hearing, but honestly, do you think I would be up to the task of swallowing that bit of medicine? Could I be a Hiram or a Sam? I sincerely hope I could, but recent events have taught me that I've got a long way to go.

Of course, the greatest example of this is the Savior. Have you read Jesus the Christ yet? In it Talmage points out two events that have stuck out. The first was that the chief priest Caiaphas received revelation by virtue of his office, even though he wasn't worthy to hold it. The second was that before the illegally held tribunal at Caiaphas' palace, Christ was silent until the moment when Caiaphas invoked his authority and demanded that he respond to the question. Talmage points out that even though the office of high priest had decayed into complete depravity, it was still the one the God had established to lead His people. So the Savior respected the authority if not the man and gave the answer which sealed his fate.

I've thought about that a lot. I won't tell you everything I've concluded, just that it really puts things in perspective for me. The Lord acknowledged God's authority even when it was wielded by a man who was trying to kill Him. I certainly need to do a better job of acknowledging it wherever else I may find it, because no matter how familiar I am with the messenger and his flaws, I can't reject anything that comes from the Source of sources.

And that's my two cents this P-day. I hope you're doing well. Go out and preach at someone. No, you know what to do. Go out and love some one and let the Lord use your mouth hands and feet to show His love for them to.

Love,

Dallas