Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lessons on Love

From Dallas Freeman II to Elder Paul Freeman, dated February 20, 2008

Dear Bro,
How much can I send you an 15 minute break? Less than I could if I hadn't taken time out to eat some left over spaghetti and complain about how I never have any time to write you.

I wanted to tell you about an epiphany I had last night. Well not really an epiphany, more like a strong reminder. A lot of people love me. I think I have a hard time coping with that. It could be because I'm innately lazy and don't want to deal with the responsibility of anybody loving me. It could also be that my self definition is tied up with being the ignored middle child who asks for little and is not often disappointed. I don't know why I do it, but I just have trouble acknowledging the genuine feelings of love and concern that other people have for me.

Yesterday night as I was thinking about all of them I realized that that's probably the biggest thing to remember about being an adult: other people truly love you. Accept it, embrace it. Let it make you stronger. Let it inform your decisions. Thank Heavenly Father for that love and treasure it as something truly fine.

Once again, I've sent you a lecture that I needed to write more than you needed to read. I hope it has value to you anyway. I want you to know that I know that God lives. I've heard His voice. He has told me of the Book of Mormon's truth. This is the Church. I bear witness of it in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Love,
Dallas